Almost

Almost is a word so useless.
A word that has so many uses.

“He could’ve made it to tomorrow”
“He almost made it through the sorrow.”

But I didn’t,
so why would they say that I was close?
Give everyone a false sense of hope.

Tell someone that something they wanted could’ve been theirs…but it wasn’t.

So why tell them that they could’ve had it?
It’s almost like almost is a habit.

A method of coping,
and getting through the moping.
I’m so sick of hoping
for something different.

Just because someone said the word almost.

This poem was an emulation of the Twenty One Pilots song “Car Radio” that I had done in class. My purpose in this poem was to express my opinion on how the word almost is obsolete (in most cases). The word almost is often used to describe a situation that could’ve happened but didn’t. I believe that this specific use of almost is pointless because the situation had not occurred so there is no reason to give somebody hope or belief that it did or that it was a possibility. This is portrayed in the line, “Give everyone a false sense of hope.” Telling someone that something they wanted could’ve been theirs does nothing but harm. It makes an individual believe in the chance that something they wanted could’ve happened, so they get trapped in a false sense of reality where they daydream about the situation that they wanted and think about what could’ve been.

I tried to emulate the slant rhyme that is often used by Twenty One Pilots, and that was part of the inspiration behind the topic of this poem; the “almost” rhyming. In the lines, “so why would they say that I was close? / Give everyone a false sense of hope,” the words “close” and “hope” almost rhyme, with the “oh” sound but not quite. I also decided to break up the rhythm and flow with lines like, “Tell someone that something they wanted could’ve been theirs…but it wasn’t.” Lines like these represent the disarray and lack of structure in the poem, and that is a symbol of the disarray caused by almost.

Featured Image

2 thoughts on “Almost

1. Dearest Jatinpal,

You have a gift. This excels in its simplicity, a beautiful flow. This utilizes repetition and rhyme so well, breaking the rules at just the right time to hammer home a point. The structure allows for thoughts to carry, and then punch. It is incredible.

To improve, I would say to lengthen the piece, because I want moreeee. Another small thing, would be to expand upon your cool rhyme scheme. The stanza’s with repeated words in an A,A,A scheme were really good.

I look forward to reading more form you. Thanks for letting me sit in your brain.

Love,

Claire

1. Dear Claire,

Thank you so much! I’m glad my brain provided a pleasant seat for you. I will listen to some 21 Pilots soon so that I can add more to this piece.

Love,
      Jatinpal